Process essays, popularly known as how-to essays, serve the purpose of letting the readers know how to perform something. A clear, step-by-step organization is the hallmark of a well-written process essay. In this post, we are going to provide a step-by-step guideline that will help you write a great process essay.
Start by brainstorming
Brainstorming is the best way to untie the knots of thoughts, so take your time to brainstorm before you dive into action. Here are some ideas to help you out:
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a line in the middle. Make two columns: materials and steps.
- Envision the steps that you think will be needed, and write them down. Don’t feel obliged to keep everything in order. The point is to get ideas out of your head and consolidate them.
- On the brainstorming page, number the steps. Just put a number beside each step or item. You may not be able to get them in order the first time, so feel free to scribble. Don’t aim for perfection, though.
Create an outline
Now you have to figure out which format should be used for the essay. If you are not sure, talk to your teacher. It may be a standard narrative article, or contain a numbered list. If you are asked to write the piece without using numbers, your essay should contain the basic elements of an essay. Here are the elements:
- Introduction: The goal of the introductory paragraph is to mention the topic and arouse the interest of your readers. In essence, the introduction tells the readers what the essay is about and why they should care.
- Body: This is the main part of your essay, and in this part you are supposed to expand your ideas in several paragraphs.
- Conclusion: This is the last part of your article that focuses on your final note on the topic.
Take your time to create an outline because it is an essential part of essay writing. No matter what the essay is about, always keep this basic outline in mind.
Write the essay
If you have properly outlined the essay, writing is actually the easy part. With the entire materials ready at hand, you will enjoy the writing process. If you are not confident, seek online tutoring help. Let’s see what this process should actually look like.
- Mention the necessary information in the introductory paragraph. For example, if the title of the piece is “How to Make a Table”, tell your readers that the equipment they will need will depend on the size of the table to be made. Give an idea of what the overall process should look like, and provide a list of tools and materials needed. Ask your readers to have the materials ready before they continue to the next part of the process.
- In a process essay, the body paragraphs should basically provide instructions. Make sure each part is easy to understand, and not too lengthy. Present each stage as per the previously planned order. Do not discuss more than one stage in a paragraph. In each stage, provide details of the procedure and help the reader take action easily.
- The conclusion of your essay should be short, sweet and comprehensive. Summarize the whole idea and reinforce the significance of the procedure. Do not make the conclusion lengthy, and try to make it memorable.
For a student burdened with lots of responsibilities, the entire process may seem overwhelming. That’s one of the reasons why so many students these days are using professional writing services. Bid 4 Writing and many other companies offer custom essays on a wide range of subject. Students with part-time jobs find these writing services pretty helpful.
Proofread and edit
Once you have written the essay, read it at least twice and see if there are grammatical and spelling errors. Also, check if you have followed the outline properly. Remember, clarity is the most important requirement for a process essay.
Make sure the essay is easy for the reader to understand. Even if you are using a reputable essay writing service, you should proofread the essay before you submit it. If you are writing in English but it’s not your first language, a language tutor can be immensely helpful.
The essay must be detailed so that the reader can complete the task without getting help from any other written material. Try your best to avoid using complex or flowery language. If you think you need to change or alter any part, don't hesitate to do so.
Writing a process essay is not that hard if you have the right preparation. In order to write a great essay, you should read as many essays as possible to get a sense of what good writing sounds like. And if you get stuck, don't hesitate to reach for help. You can get valuable assistance from your teacher, classmates, or an experienced essay writer.